Ontario Independent

Thursday, June 30, 2022

For the first time, Ontario has reported over 850 COVID-19 hospitalizations

For the first time, the province of Ontario reports over 850 COVID-19 hospitalizations

Key Takeaways:

  • Ontario health officials reported an increase in COVID-19-related hospitalizations on Saturday.
  • On Saturday, at least 46% of the patients hospitalised were there because of the novel coronavirus.
  • According to the Ministry of Health, the province’s positivity rate is now around 17.1%, with just over 16,000 tests processed in the last 24 hours.

On Saturday, Ontario health officials reported an increase in COVID-19-related hospitalizations.

According to provincial data, 855 people are treated for COVID-19 in hospitals, with 165 in intensive care.

More than 850 COVID-19 hospitalizations have been reported in Ontario for the first time in about a month.

At least 46% of the patients admitted to the hospital on Saturday were there for reasons related to the novel coronavirus. The remaining 54% tested positive while being treated for other ailments.

COVID-19 is being treated for nearly 69 percent of patients in the intensive care unit.

Also read: Stunt drivers in Ontario will now face an additional penalty

Officials also confirmed nine more COVID-19 deaths, bringing the total number of deaths in the province to 12,460.

Seven reported deaths happened within the last month, and two more deaths were added to the total after the data was cleaned up.

Long-term care residents have died in two cases.

On Saturday, an additional 3,233 lab-confirmed COVID-19 cases were confirmed, though officials warn that this number is likely underestimated due to ongoing testing restrictions.

For the first time, the province of Ontario reports over 850 COVID-19 hospitalizations.
For the first time, the province of Ontario reports over 850 COVID-19 hospitalizations. Image from The Atlantic

A few days ago, the scientific director of Ontario’s COVID-19 Science Advisory Table stated that the province was “clearly” in the midst of a sixth wave of the pandemic, with 30,000 to 35,000 new infections per day.

“It’s very clear when you look at our wastewater.” Dr. Peter Jüni said at the time, “You can call it anything you want; whether it’s a resurgence of the Omicron wave we used to have or a sixth wave, the point is to understand this is not a BA.2 wave.”

The Ministry of Health reports that the province’s positivity rate is now around 17.1%, with just over 16,000 tests processed in the last 24 hours.

Since the beginning of the pandemic, there have been 1,169,361 lab-confirmed COVID-19 cases in Ontario.

Source: CTV news

Get Canada and Ontario’s top News, Market news, and other worldwide news only on Ontario Independent

Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.