- The seventh wave of COVID-19 has crested in Ontario, according to the provincial government’s senior medical officer of health.
- According to Moore, the total risk and impact on the healthcare sector will continue to decrease during the month of August.
- According to Moore, the elderly, a population that is particularly vulnerable, had got the fourth treatment in about 61 percent of cases.
The 7th wave of COVID-19 has crested in Ontario, according to the provincial govt’s senior medical officer of health.
According to Dr. Kieran Moore, key indications have peaked or are already going downward.
I believe the downturn has already begun, he declared.
“It’s always simpler to look back and also say where we were, but from our vantage point just today, it certainly has stabilized,” the author says. “We’re witnessing a decrease in the overall number of people hospitalized, stabilization in ICU, which is typically late indicators, as well as a provincial level the wastewater is on the decrease.”
For the week ending July 30, according to Public Health Ontario, COVID-19 case rates dropped in 22 of the province’s 34 health units, with a small week-over-week decline in the percentage of positive cases and a drop in hospital admissions to 306 from 463 the week before.
For the week ending July 30, 46 COVID-19 deaths were reported, down from 75 the week prior.
Moore stated that he believes the overall risk and impact on the healthcare industry will continue to decline through August.
Although cooler weather forces more activities indoors, Moore suggested that a fresh wave of COVID-19 may not be as bad as he would have feared a few months ago as we go into the fall.
According to Moore, seroprevalence tests indicate that half of the population in Ontario has natural immunity. This, along with high vaccination rates and the absence of a new variety of concerns, all point to a positive outcome.
He said it would be challenging for a virus that is extremely similar to spread among our population.
Therefore, Public Health Ontario and the Public Health Agency of Canada are searching the world to see whether there is a new variety that could be dangerous to humans. But because we can’t see a fresh threat on the horizon, we anticipate a period of calm in the upcoming weeks and months.
According to Moore, there is still a chance of Omicron reinfection. Still, those who have already been vaccinated and infected are considerably better protected than those who have already been infected but have not received a vaccination.
Previously, only those 60 and older, immunocompromised, or Indigenous adults were eligible for a fourth dose of the COVID-19 vaccination; this eligibility has been extended to include all Ontarians age 18 and older. According to Moore, about 16% of individuals in Ontario have taken four doses.
According to Moore, approximately 61% of the elderly, a particularly vulnerable group, had received the fourth treatment.
Additionally, Moore said that 9,000 kids have already had their first shot since immunizations for kids under five became accessible a week ago. In Ontario, that represents 1% of the entire population in that age bracket.
He said: “We certainly see those numbers increasing as we approach the fall. That was predicted in August to be a low number as parents are busy on holidays.
Source: Global News
Get Canada and Ontario’s top News, Market news, and other worldwide news only on Ontario Independent