- Several people in Ontario, including a 75-year-old man, claim that while getting their booster shot, they were given the equivalent of six doses of the COVID-19 vaccine.
- The doctor had not diluted the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine, so they had gotten 6 times the recommended dose, according to the receptionist.
Several people in Ontario, including a 75-year-old man, claim they were given the equivalent of 6 doses of the COVID-19 immunization while getting their booster shot.
Numerous people who got their booster shot at the Schomberg Medical Clinic next to Newmarket on January 8 and were impacted by the vaccine mix-up have spoken with CTV News Toronto.
A 28-year-old lady and her husband, who did not want to be identified, were among those who received notification of the dosage error just hours after receiving their shot.
The receptionist informed them that the doctor had not diluted the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine, implying they had obtained 6 times the recommended dose.
Each Pfizer COVID-19 vial includes 0.25 mL of product, to which saline is provided, and is sufficient vaccine for 6 doses, as per health officials.
The vaccine was not diluted in this case, and people received the entire vial.
She told CTV News Toronto, “We were kind of freaked out.” “Then, later that night, we started to feel bad. We had a high fever, chills, and body aches for the next couple of days. We were unconscious for a few days.”
She claimed she contacted her family physician, who informed her that she had never heard of this problem before. Their doctor advised them to keep an eye on any unusual symptoms for the next few months.
“The doctor should never have made that mistake,” she said, adding that she is concerned about the long-term consequences.
She claimed the clinic’s receptionist told her that more than 20 people had received an undiluted dose on that particular day.
News from CTV Toronto tried to reach out to the doctor who gave the shots but did not respond. According to the clinic’s voicemail, COVID-19 vaccines were given out for the first time on January 8.
The 75-year-old man’s daughter said her father was “very lethargic and confused” after receiving the undiluted dose.
“He had no desire to eat. For about two days, he didn’t eat, “said the woman, who did not want to be identified.
Her father, she said, had been taken to his family doctor for a checkup.
“Fortunately, my father was unharmed. His blood pressure and also heart rate were both checked. We followed all of the public health’s instructions, including contacting poison control.”
She added that they had also filed a grievance with the Ontario College of Physicians and Surgeons.
“You make a mistake, you make mistakes, but to make the same mistake multiple times? This is a matter of people’s health.”
A mother whose teenage child was given an undiluted dose talked with CTV News Toronto.
According to a statement, the error at Schomberg Medical Centre has been reported to York Region Public Health.
“We understand that this type of happening can cause a lot of anxiety,” said Patrick Casey, Director of Corporate Communications. “You can rest easy knowing that COVID-19 vaccines are safe and that administration errors are incredibly rare.”
Casey did not say how many people were given the wrong dose.
Source: CTV News
Get Canada and Ontario’s top News, Market news, and other worldwide news only on Ontario Independent