- On Wednesday, the Canadian government advised Canadians to avoid all non-essential international travel due to a new coronavirus variant.
- PM Justin Trudeau has stated that Canadians should not travel at this time and that anyone entering the country will face additional barriers such as testing.
Because of the new coronavirus variant, the Canadian government advised Canadians against all non-essential international travel on Wednesday. The largest province of Ontario capped capacity at large events like NBA and NHL games at 50%.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has stated that Canadians should not travel at this time and that anyone entering the country will face additional barriers such as testing.
“It’s the last thing families want to think about right now,” Trudeau said, “but COVID in the presence of omicron is back with a vengeance.”
According to Premier Doug Ford, if 3 months have passed since their second vaccine dose, all adults in Ontario, Canada’s most populous province, can book virus booster shots beginning Monday.
Canada lags behind the United States, the United Kingdom, and other countries in terms of citizen booster shots.
Ford stated, “We are not going to lock down the system and try to get out of this.”
The best defense, according to Ford, is to get a booster shot. He said, “That’s our plan, and that’s what we’re going to do.”
Bars and restaurants are still full. According to provincial officials, the capacity limit only applies to 1,000 or more spectators events.
On Monday, 1,808 new coronavirus cases were reported in Ontario, with 2,386 in Quebec. The omicron variant, according to Ford, is the most contagious variant yet seen and, if it isn’t already, is on the verge of becoming the most dominant strain in Ontario.
In reaction to the quick spread of the omicron variant in Kingston, Ontario, the city announced earlier this week that it would limit gatherings to a maximum of five people.
In Ontario, some school boards are preparing for a possible return to remote learning in the coming year.
The Toronto District School Board dispatched a memo to parents requesting that students take their personal belongings and devices out of the classroom and any tools or supplies they may require to transition to remote learning.
On Wednesday, a similar memo was issued by the Waterloo Region District School Board, stating that its staff had prepared schools to “ensure a smooth transition if required.”
Source: abc News
Get Canada and Ontario’s top News, Market news, and other worldwide news only on Ontario Independent