- Ontario’s state of emergency, which was imposed to help stop the truck convoy protest, has been revoked.
- The plates of 24 Ontario passenger automobiles were suspended, while 34 plates from out-of-province passenger cars were confiscated.
The state of emergency declared by Ontario to assist end the truck convoy protest has been lifted.
“Ontario will be terminating its designation of a state of emergency as of 5:00 p.m. today, by the federal government,” Premier Doug Ford’s spokesperson Ivana Yelich said Wednesday.
“At this moment, the emergency tools supplied to law enforcement will be retained while authorities continue to deal with current action on the ground,” says the statement.
Ford proclaimed a state of emergency in Ontario a little over two weeks ago to “establish law and order” by making blocking and stopping the passage of goods, people, and services along with key infrastructure illegal.
Failure to comply might result in a $100,000 fine and up to a year in jail.
“We remain appreciative to all frontline police and first responders who helped to bring the situation in Ottawa, Windsor, and other regions of the province to a peaceful conclusion,” Yelich said in a statement.
The Ontario Ministry of Transportation acknowledged to CP24 on Wednesday night that it has issued multiple suspension and seizure orders to truck drivers to aid in the conclusion of the Ottawa occupation.
According to the government, 24 Ontario passenger-plated cars were suspended, and 34 plates from out-of-province passenger-plated vehicles were confiscated.
The government also issued 12 suspension and seizure orders to heavy truck drivers in Ontario. Their operating authorization across the country would be stopped, and any plates registered to them would be confiscated.
In addition, the ministry announced that it had issued 27 seizure orders prohibiting out-of-province heavy truck owners from operating any commercial motor vehicle in Ontario.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced the conclusion of his unprecedented invocation of the Emergencies Act, which he proclaimed little over a week ago in a last-ditch bid to cease convoy demonstrations that had been going on for weeks.
“Today, after careful thought, we’re ready to announce that the situation is no longer an emergency,” Trudeau said at a press conference on Wednesday. “As a result, the federal government will be ceasing to employ the Emergencies Act.”
Source: CTV News
Get Canada and Ontario’s top News, Market news, and other worldwide news only on Ontario Independent